The CPMA works to raise the professional profile of co-operative actors’ agencies, with employers, actors, and external bodies.
- We represent the professional interests of our members, and regularly put their views to industry institutions, such as Equity, Spotlight, Casting Directors’ Guild (CDG), Casting Directors’ Association (CDA), and the Personal Managers’ Association (PMA).
- We are consulted by Equity on industry issues and the development of Equity’s agreements with employers.
- We co-authored, with the organizations above, the Code of Conduct for Self-taping for Scripted Drama, the similar Best Practice Code for Casting Commercials, and Equity’s Manifesto For Casting.
- We took part with Equity and the PMA in suggesting improvements to the Spotlight Link, such as payment information and the way breakdowns are presented.
- The CPMA has a seat on the board of British Equity Collecting Society (BECS) http://www.becs.org.uk
- We advocate co-operative working in trade publications as appropriate, and promote the benefits of co-op agencies to drama students and actors seeking representation.
- We provide support and advice to our members, and respond to their concerns.
- We have worked with Co-operatives UK to raise awareness of our work within the co-operative movement.
The CPMA holds Business Meetings for our member-agencies, to discuss CPMA activities and industry developments. Other members’ meetings identify and assist with the particular concerns of co-ops, encourage good business practice, and develop training skills and opportunities. Details are in the Members’ Area (Members’ Events). Each agency creates its own password to access this section. Also, see “Some Past Events”.
- Our many seminars with casting directors have helped our member-agencies develop productive relationships with them.
- At our Inter-Co-op forums, agencies exchange views on issues particular to co-ops, and develop solutions.
- Our members are offered training sessions on the use of Equity’s agreements, and how to deal with contracts, both Union and non-union.
- Our members are advised to subscribe to Equity’s Industry Information Service (half price for co-ops: £48pa): http://www.equity.org.uk/about/industry-information-service/
- Our members are urged to have diverse client lists, with 100% Equity membership.
- Commercials The CPMA takes part in bi-weekly sessions on commercials, with Equity, PMA agents, Casting Directors and Spotlight.
- We help to monitor the new Code of Conduct for Self-Taping in Scripted Drama and the Best Practice Code for Casting Commercials.
- Spotlight We discuss services to agents with Spotlight, and the information Spotlight gives to those asking about co-op agencies. Our Code of Conduct for CPMA members is on Spotlight’s Industry Resources site. We were consulted over Spotlight’s new criteria for membership.
- Equity The CPMA and PMA are consulted during Equity’s negotiations with employers.
- Industry Group on Bullying, Harassment and Inappropriate Behaviour includes Equity, PMA, CPMA, TV employers and the CDG.
- British Equity Collecting Society The CPMA’s current member of the BECS Board is Peter Barnes (our Alternate, Robin Browne, may vote if Peter can’t attend).