The CPMA works to raise the professional profile of co-operative actors’ agencies, with employers, actors, and external bodies.
- We represent the professional interests of our members, and regularly put their views to industry institutions, such as Equity, Spotlight, Casting Directors’ Guild (CDG), Casting Directors’ Association (CDA), and the Personal Managers’ Association (PMA).
- We are consulted by Equity on industry issues and the development of Equity’s agreements with employers.
- We co-authored, with the organizations above, Codes of Conduct for Self-taping for Scripted Drama and Commercials, and Equity’s Manifesto For Casting.
- We took part with Equity and the PMA in suggesting improvements to the Spotlight Link, such as payment information and the way breakdowns are presented.
- The CPMA has a seat on the board of British Equity Collecting Society (BECS) http://www.becs.org.uk
- We advocate co-operative working in trade publications as appropriate, and promote the benefits of co-op agencies to drama students and actors seeking representation.
- We provide support and advice to our members, and respond to their concerns.
- We have worked with Co-operatives UK to raise awareness of our work within the co-operative movement.
The CPMA holds members’ meetings to identify and assist with the particular concerns of co-ops, encourage good business practice, and develop training skills and opportunities. See “Some Past Events”.
- Our regular seminars with casting directors help our member-agencies develop productive relationships with them.
- At our Inter-Co-op forums, agencies exchange views on issues particular to co-ops, and develop solutions.
- Our members are offered training sessions on the use of Equity’s agreements, and how to deal with contracts, both Union and non-union.
- Our members are advised to subscribe to Equity’s Industry Information Service (half price for co-ops: £48pa): http://www.equity.org.uk/about/industry-information-service/
- Our members are urged to have diverse client lists, with 100% Equity membership.
- Commercials The CPMA takes part in frequent sessions about commercials with Equity, the PMA, CDG, CDA and Spotlight.
- We help to monitor the new Codes of Conduct for Self-Taping.
- Spotlight We discuss services to agents with Spotlight, and the information Spotlight gives to those asking about co-op agencies. Our Code of Conduct for CPMA members is on Spotlight’s Industry Resources site.
- Equity The CPMA and PMA are consulted during Equity’s negotiations with employers.
- Industry Group on Bullying, Harassment and Inappropriate Behaviour includes Equity, PMA, CPMA, TV employers and the CDG.
- British Equity Collecting Society The CPMA has a seat on BECS Board. Peter Barnes is the current member (our Alternate, Robin Browne, has voting rights if Peter can’t attend).